Wednesday, October 17, 2007

How the French Stay so Thin


I now realize how the French can eat all those baguettes and foie gras yet stay so thin. They walk everywhere. This is only my second day in Paris and I have never walked so much in my life (except maybe when I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro)! In fact, I've walked so much I broke my shoe!

Yes, the sole of my shoe peeled off because of all the pavement I have been hitting. I wandered into BHV, a giant department store at the Hotel de Ville and was directed to this little stand in the basement: a guy there makes keys and fixes shoes while you wait. I love how Parisienne's walk so much that this happens often enough that someone can make a living fixing shoes while you wait! That or it is a sad commentary on our "throw away" culture in the US!

No comments: